Jumping into Week #10 already?
Polishing up the project
With our primary focus on the two ASRs: Web Speech API and Microsoft Azure, we’ve found them to be the perfect candidates for our research project as other ASRs proved to be difficult and complicated mostly to the stuff regarding cloud permissions and API keys. Anyway, we were hoping to get the third ASR into our project. This third ASR is called “Apptek”, is a company based in Northern Virginia. They have a partnership with Gallaudet University for accessibility-related stuff. So with this, we initially had a meeting with them in the first week of REU internship. Unfortunately, it finally came around this week when we got their API key and was able to get started with their ASR. After the meeting this week, we came to a conclusion that we had different goals, we were expecting their ASR to be ready to provide accessibility over a web browser with WebRTC. This isn’t the case as they’ve just started building their project and need feedback and results from the users first before they move on further with the software development cycles. Nobody is blamed here. It’s just an opportunity that would have been great if it was ready to be used in our research project. As we are REU interns, we are only given 10 weeks to work on this research project. That does not give us enough time to do them all (tasks).
WebRTC + Web Speech API
In the past couple weeks, at some point, I did some work on getting the transcript page working with Web Speech API. It was easy because there were guides that I followed in order to get it to work. There were a couple obstacles that I faced, but I overcame it easily. With a bit of understanding and knowledge that I had with Web Speech API, it was time for me to implement this into a WebRTC client. In short, WebRTC platform offers many different methods of communications online, whether it be via video, audio, or instant messages.
So this week, I only worked two days (Thursday, Friday). Last week I worked an extra day (Saturday), so I’ll make up 2 days I missed this week in the 11th week, so expect to see my blog post in the 11th week.
my team has made more progress in this week compared to last week
Third week already?
I cannot believe how fast time has flew in the last three weeks in my REU internship! I am more than grateful for this fantastic experience. The work that I have done has been fun and I did really learn lots, but there’s still a lot to learn especially with the cloud platforms, nodejs, and various services that are dependent on cloud/nodejs.
In my first week of the REU internship was basically like any other first week, an orientation week, where everything is laid out in front of you and you learn everything there is that surrounds the project and its goals for the next 10 weeks. The only difference this time around is the fact that we are living in amidst the coronavirus crisis. This means I won’t get the opportunity of experiencing the greatness of the REU working with other students and mentors on campus. Nevertheless, I am more than fortunate to be able to work with my mentor in this internship working remotely from the comforts of my home. with this being said, me and my co-intern Emelia Beldon took efforts to set up our development environments on our desktop computers and laptops.